Choosing between a vented and ventless gas fireplace is quite the task.
You will have to weigh the pros and cons of each setup. In general, one of the main questions a person is going to ask will be – are vented gas fireplaces safe?
Vented gas fireplaces are safe as the flue is kept open. This allows gas to release from the vent. However, this can lead to an increase in gas bills due to the inefficient use of gas per minute.
If you can tolerate the increase in your monthly bill, this is a far safer option than any ventless fireplace on the market.
Even though ventless gas fireplaces come with rigorous safety features (i.e. sensors). they are still not as safe as a vented gas fireplace.
This article will look more into the world of vented gas fireplaces and their safety standards.
Table of Contents
Best Fireplace Cleaning Kit (EDITOR’S CHOICE)
No products found.
Which Is Better Ventless Or Vented Gas Fireplace?
Vented gas fireplaces are better if the goal is to choose something safe and reliable. While ventless gas fireplaces offer a far more efficient and budget-friendly option. Choosing one comes down to what you deem to be most important.
It’s recommended to look at your existing setup to see what will work best.
Vented gas fireplaces offer a more stable solution for your home. It will not get in the way and is going to release gas through the flue.
Ventless gas fireplaces are wonderful these days as they come with safety sensors. It is important to note those safety sensors have to be kept in check to ensure they’re working year-round.
This is the only way to know you are getting the results you want without compromising your safety.
Can You Run A Vented Gas Fireplace All Day?
You can run a vented gas fireplace all day. This is due to the flue releasing excess gas without compromising the safety or integrity of the gas fireplace. This is ideal when it comes to modern safety standards.
If you are someone that is going to want to heat the room throughout the day, this is the right option for you.
While the gas bill might go up, you are not going to have to worry about the safety of anyone inside the house.
This is great as the vented gas fireplace has a built-in safety feature to allow for the release of additional gas.
While just like any other fireplace, this can also break down on you, it is still important to recognize how effective it is in regulating gas.
Do Vented Gas Logs Give Off Carbon Monoxide?
Yes, vented gas logs can give off carbon monoxide. This occurs when the gas fireplace is improperly ventilated and/or damaged. It can create a situation where the gas logs accumulate and release carbon monoxide.
It’s best to assess where the problem is and correct it as soon as possible.
Just like any other type of gas-related fixture, you have to keep an eye on how it’s performing year-round.
If not, you could have a dangerous gas leak.
If the vented gas logs are kept in good health, they are not going to release carbon monoxide.
How Efficient Is A Vented Gas Fireplace?
A vented gas fireplace is not as efficient as a ventless gas fireplace. It tends to use 50-60% of the gas coming through while releasing the rest. This means a 40% drop compared to a ventless solution.
However, a vented gas fireplace is also safer than a ventless gas fireplace.
The drop in efficiency is traded with the increase in safety. This is something to account for as a property owner.
If you are someone that is going to have a hard time maintaining the gas fireplace, it might make sense to take the inefficiency of the vented gas fireplace in stride.
Are vented gas fireplaces safe?
A vented gas fireplace is safe as it releases gas through the open flue. This is designed to have an automated venting process to help alleviate excess gas fumes. In comparison to ventless gas fireplaces, a vented gas fireplace is significantly safer.
If you are on the fence about choosing one, there is no doubt a vented gas fireplace is going to be the safest option available to you.
Take the time to compare your options, look at what is available, and then make your choice.
This will ensure the results are on par with what you want as a property owner.
Read More On Living Rooms:
- Tips To Clean Fireplace Soot Off Siding
- Reasons Gas Is Not Flowing Through To Gas Fireplace
- Why Is My Gas Fireplace Half-Lit?
- Reasons You Can’t Use Gas Fireplace As Main Heat Source
- Why Does My Gas Fireplace Have An Uneven Flame?
- Why Is There A Smell Coming From Gas Fireplace?
- How To Stop Cool Air From Coming In Through A Fireplace